Volunteer opportunities in Peru
Located at the Tropic of Capricorn, Peru is one of the places on the planet with the greatest natural diversity: its varied ecological zones boast thousands of species of plants and animals. Experiment Peru is located in the heart of the Andes, at 3,450 m (11,300 ft) above sea level, in the city of Cusco. This ancient capital of the Incas, later became part of the Spanish American empire for 3 centuries. Now its streets and traditional buildings reflect this dual heritage.
From this highland location, one can easily -- in less than one day -- travel by road to the Amazonian Rainforest, to the Lake Titicaca or to the Collca Cañon.
Experiment Peru offers volunteer programs in different sectors, depending on the interests, abilities and objectives of each of our participants. All of Experiment Peru's projects provide volunteers with the opportunity to be their very best. But also, by the fact of being subjected to a wholly distinct reality, our volunteers are given the chance to learn firsthand about this amazing country and experience the many facets of its culture.
Our projects are located within the city of Cusco, and also in the Amazonian Rainforest. Volunteers will be placed according to their preferences, talents, and abilities, and will be given the opportunity to exercise their skills and apply themselves completely in a specific context.
Depending on the placement, volunteers will be expected to perform the following:
- Observe and shadow physicians in the Health Centre
- Provide support in basic tasks such as measuring, weighing, taking temperature, triage work.
- Educate the population (children, women...) on issues of hygiene or nutrition.
Note: The volunteer should not expect to directly treat patients.
Regular or Special Education
- Provide support to the teacher in the classroom
- Provide reinforcement to students in the areas of mathematics and integrated communications
- Create recreational activities that benefit the children while they have fun (sports, music, crafts, yoga, etc.), according to the skills of the volunteer.
- Provide support with the children's nutrition needs and/or hygiene needs.
- Participate in activities related to reforestation and impact studies
- Make an inventory of flora and fauna
- Seeding, transporting and planting seedlings
- Photographic record of flora and fauna and elaboration of the photo guide of the area
- Development of your own research or field work
- Provide support in the care of children
- Provide support with children's nutritional and/or hygiene needs
- Create recreational activities that benefit the children while they have fun (sports, music, crafts, yoga, etc.), according to the skills of the volunteer
- Provide support in the dissemination of information relevant to the community
- Provide support in the preparation of projects
- Provide support in the identification and prevention of problems
- Participate in the elaboration and implementation of training workshops
These programs are offered all year round, except for educational programs which may not be available from January to March (Peruvian long vacations). Please also note that volunteering sites in the Amazonian rainforest (ecological programs) might be less accessible in the height of the rainy season (also January to March).
Work schedules will vary from project to project. The volunteer is expected to conform to the schedule of each individual project.
- Over 18 years of age
- Good mental and physical health
- International medical insurance
- Letter of motivation
- Ability to adapt to a new culture
A member of our staff will be expecting you at the airport in Cusco (do not forget to give us your flight information!).
Where you'll be staying
You will be taken to the home where you will live until the end of your program.Your host family will help you settle in. Experiment Peru offers the opportunity of a full intercultural experience through living with a host family. This coexistence offers exchange in communication, food, customs and mutual respect.
If you want to practice and improve your language skills, the language immersion with a local family is your best option. Our families are located in urban areas, allowing the participant to have access to some limited comfort and a private room.
We also offer the experience of living with a family in a rural area, which allows you to share a more basic life style and more traditional set of customs, as well as the opportunity to discover the Andean countryside and experience a unique closeness with South America's most majestic mountain environment.
Our homestay families may not offer the same amount of comfort that you are used to in your own home. It is an important part of your volunteering that you should be prepared to adapt to these new living conditions.
It is possible that your Cusco family will not have the Internet. The offices of Experiment Peru are totally WiFi equipped and there will also be a few computers at your disposal whenever you need. In addition, like much of South America, Cusco is full of cheap Internet cabins that you can use for work and for chat. Outside of the city, in some rural areas, access is more difficult but not impossible.
Likewise, our homestay families will not provide laundry facilities, but there will be good quality and inexpensive laundries in the neighborhood where you will live, and also near the offices of Experiment Peru.
The following day after you arrive, your family will take you to our office where you will be given your formal orientation, and taken around to meet everyone who works with us at Experiment Peru. You will find our staff friendly and eager to help 24/7. Do not hesitate to ask us anything you may need or any question you may have about Peru, about Cusco or about your Volunteering Program.
Programs start at any time throughout the year. (see exceptions in our section titled Project Overview) We recommend that you try to book your travel to arrive on a weekend in Cusco, so you can rest and acclimate to the high altitude.
Program Fees 2015*
|4 weeks||US$ 1760|
|6 weeks||US$ 2125|
|8 weeks||US$ 2485|
|10 weeks||US$ 2845|
|12 weeks||US$ 3205|
|16 weeks||US$ 3925|
|20 weeks||US$ 4650|
|24 weeks||US$ 5370|
*Published prices remain subject to change in case of major currency fluctuations. Contact your sending office.
What the program includes:
Room and board throughout the program, 7 days a week, with three full meals per day
- Intercultural orientation
- Placement, follow-up and support throughout the program
- Contribution to the project
- End of program certificate
Extras (at additional cost):
- Spanish and Quechua classes are available at an additional cost. Please check with your sending office for details.
What is not included in the program:
International and domestic airfare
- Language classes
- Daily commute to the project
Urban transportation while in Cusco
Health, accident and travel insurance
Personal expenses, including phone calls
A deposit of 20% of the total program fee is required with your application. It is non-refundable upon notification of acceptance and is applied to the total program fee. The balance of the program fee is required 30 days prior to departure.
- Cancellation after acceptance and prior to placement confirmation – the deposit is forfeited;
- Cancellation after confirmation of placement – 50% of the program fee is forfeited;
No Show or Early Departure from Program – 100% of the program fee is forfeited