Volunteer in Ireland
The popular image of Ireland until recently was of a rural country with close knit communities and a slow pace of life. In the 1990’s an economic boom transformed Ireland, modernizing the country and attitudes with it. While the standard of living has risen considerably, many challenges have been created in its wake.
Wealth in Ireland is very unevenly divided, and many marginalized groups are as needy as ever. Those with special needs, young people at risk, and older people in Ireland are finding difficulty meeting their needs in the Ireland of today. Our environment is under threat from over development, and there is rising conflict between those wishing to progress the economic boom and infrastructure and those wishing to preserve Ireland ’s unique natural and cultural heritage.
By choosing to volunteer in Ireland with VIP you will make an immeasurable contribution to the efforts of projects aiming to tackle some of the most critical issues facing Ireland at this time.
Volunteer Abroad Program Overview — Ireland
VIP in Ireland works mainly with organisations in the following areas:
- Assisting those with disabilities
- Environmental and conservation projects
- Assisting the homeless
- Accommodation: Residential accommodations at project site
- Duration: 3 weeks to 24 weeks
- Arrivals Dates: 2nd and 4th Monday of each month
Arrival and Orientation
Orientation will take place upon arrival in Cork. Orientation will take place at the VIP office, covering issues such as health and safety, Irish culture and society, and voluntary work. Overnight accommodation will be provided in Cork, and the following day you will travel to your host community to begin your voluntary work placement.
"EIL was very organized and helpful and as a result, I thoroughly enjoyed my volunteering experience abroad." Louise, volunteered in Vietnam
Workplace conditions vary depending on the project. Volunteers work a maximum of 40 hours per week, with 2 days off. Generally there will be other volunteers and staff working with you, and there will be a designated mentor at the project.
What is Included
- Orientation on arrival in Cork including one night's hostel accommodations.l
- Placement in a volunteer work project
- Residential accommodation and food for the duration of your stay
- Donation to placement project
- Public transport from the orientation location to the voluntary work project
- Ongoing support and problem solving from a mentor within the project and EIL
- 24/7 Emergency contact and support
- Program evaluation and certificate
What is Not Included
- International travel
- Airport transfers on arrival or departure (available at additional cost)
- Language Classes (available at additional cost)
- Personal spending money
- Medical and accident insurance
Please contact the nearest Embassy of Ireland with regard to visa requirements for your country.
2014 Program Fees*
|Length of Stay||Cost|
|4 weeks||US$ 2075|
|8 weeks||US$ 2435|
|12 weeks||US$ 2820|
|24 weeks||US$ 4205|
Programs of any length between 3 weeks and 24 weeks are available. Consult your sending office for cost details.
*Note: Published prices remain subject to change in case of major currency fluctuations. Contact your sending offic
A deposit of 20% of the total program fee is required with your application. It is non-refundable upon notification of acceptance and is applied to the total program fee. The balance of the program fee is required 30 days prior to departure.
- Cancellation after acceptance and prior to placement confirmation - the deposit is forfeited
- Cancellation after confirmation of placement - 50% of the program fee is forfeited
- No Show or Early Departure from Program - 100% of the program fee is forfeited