Volunteer in Ireland
The popular image of Ireland until recently was of a rural country with close knit communities and a slow pace of life. In the 1990’s an economic boom transformed Ireland, modernizing the country and attitudes with it. While the standard of living has risen considerably, many challenges have been created in its wake.
Wealth in Ireland is very unevenly divided, and many marginalized groups are as needy as ever. Those with special needs, young people at risk, and older people in Ireland are finding difficulty meeting their needs in the Ireland of today. Our environment is under threat from over development, and there is rising conflict between those wishing to progress the economic boom and infrastructure and those wishing to preserve Ireland ’s unique natural and cultural heritage.
By choosing to volunteer in Ireland with VIP you will make an immeasurable contribution to the efforts of projects aiming to tackle some of the most critical issues facing Ireland at this time.
Volunteer Abroad Program Overview — Ireland
Workplace conditions vary depending on the project. Volunteers work a maximum of 40 hours per week, with 2 days off. Generally there will be other volunteers and staff working with you, and there will be a designatedmentor at the project.
VIP in Ireland works mainly with organisations in thefollowing areas:
- Assisting those with disabilities
- Environmental and conservation projects
- Assisting the homeless
Arrivals Dates for 2015: January 12th, Febuary 9th, March 9th, April 6th, May 11th, June 8th, June 22nd, July 6th, July 20th, August 10th, September 7th, October 12th, November 9th, December 7th. Volunteers should make their own way to Cork (if arriving at a different airport).
Where you'll be staying
Residential accommodations will be provided at the project site (not homestays).
Program Fees 2015*
|Length of program||Cost|
Programs of any length between 3 weeks and 24 weeks are available. Consult your sending office for cost details.
(3 week program costs $2,023)
*The program fee is to be payed in Euros using the conversion rate of 1 Euro equals 1.30 US dollars.
*Note: Published prices remain subject to change in case of major currency fluctuations. Contact your sending office.
Orientation will take place upon arrival in Cork. Orientation will take place at the VIP office, covering issues such as health and safety, Irish culture and society, and voluntary work. Overnight accommodation will be provided in Cork, and the following day you will travel to your host community to begin your voluntary work placement.
"EIL was very organized and helpful and as a result, I thoroughly enjoyed my volunteering experience abroad." Louise, volunteered in Vietnam
What the program includes:
- Orientation on arrival in Cork including one night's hostel accommodations.
- Placement in a volunteer work project
- Residential accommodation and food for the duration of your stay
- Donation to placement project
- Public transport from the orientation location to the voluntary work project
- Ongoing support and problem solving from a mentor within the project and EIL
- 24/7 Emergency contact and support
- Program evaluation and certificate
Extras (at additional cost):
- Pick up from cork airport: 25 Euros
- Language classes (see supplementary info)
- Extra week extension (when already on placement): 75 Euros. (this option may not always be available)
What the program doesn't include:
- Airport transfers on arrival or departure (available at additional cost)
- Language Classes (available at additional cost)
- Personal spending money
- Medical and accident insurance
- Volunteers should make their own way to Cork (if arriving at a different airport)
- Fee doesn't include dinner on arrival
*Please contact the nearest Embassy of Ireland with regard to visa requirements for your country.
A deposit of 20% of the total program fee is required with your application. It is non-refundable upon notification of acceptance and is applied to the total program fee. The balance of the program fee is required 30 days prior to departure.
- Cancellation after acceptance and prior to placement confirmation - the deposit is forfeited
- Cancellation after confirmation of placement - 50% of the program fee is forfeited
- No Show or Early Departure from Program - 100% of the program fee is forfeited