With a landscape including rugged mountains and a lengthy stretch of Adriatic coastline, Albania is home to a rich blend of religions and cultures. After World War II, Albania remained staunchly isolationist until its transition to democracy after 1990. The 1992 elections ended 47 years of communist rule, but the latter half of the decade saw a quick turnover of presidents and prime ministers. While there have been signs of economic progress with inflation under tighter control and some growth, the country remains one of the poorest in Europe. Unemployment is high and poverty widespread. VIP has developed many relationships with non profit organizations in Albania, creating a variety of individual volunteer placement possibilities.
Participants will be welcomed at the airport by a representative of Experiment Albania, our VIP representative organization in Tirana. A one-day orientation program will be provided upon arrival which will cover basic information about the volunteer placement and about customs & daily life in Albania. During the orientation, a basic Albanian language course will be provided to the participant, in order to enable him/her to communicate with the local people. This orientation concludes with the exploration of Tirana, the capital of Albania, visiting some cultural and historical buildings like National Historic Museum, Mosque of Et’hem Bej, etc.
During the volunteer program, a homestay will be provided for participants, with the exception of the program in the Romani Community Center where the volunteer will be accommodated in a guest room at the center.
|2 weeks||US$ 1315|
|3 Weeks||US$ 1470|
|4 Weeks||US$ 1585|
|6 Weeks||US$ 1830|
|8 Weeks||US$ 2265|
- Application processing
- Airport transfer (Arrival & Departure)
- One day orientation upon arrival
- Albanian language instruction
- Volunteer project placement
- Homestay where applicable
- Breakfasts and Dinners are provided with a homestay (not lunch)
- Breakfast and lunch are provided at the Romani Community Center (not dinner)
- Entrance to the museums and other historical places in Tirana
- In country staff support
What’s not included
- Travel to and from Albania, visa expenses if any
- Daily transportation to the project
- Required travel and accident insurance
- Personal expenses, including international phone calls
- Meals as noted above (estimated costs $80 to $90 US per month for meals)
* Note: Published prices remain subject to change in case of major currency fluctuations. Contact your sending office.
A deposit of 20 % of the total program fee is required with the participant’s application. It is non-refundable upon notification of acceptance. The balance of the program fee is required 30 days prior to departure.
- Cancellation after acceptance and prior to placement confirmation – the deposit is forfeited
- Cancellation after confirmation of placement – 50% of the program fee is forfeited
- No show or early departure from program – 100% of the program fee is forfeit